Saturday, October 11, 2008

Our trip to the Equator. (Part 3 of 6)

Date: 2nd October 2008 (The 2nd day)

So it was after lunch. A little more intermingling with smiling faces interspersed with little titters and thunderous laughters.

Time for the "bidapod" was almost there. Someone told us to gather near the ground side of the "kepala tangga", a whole wooden log made into steps. Both the guests and the hosts are ready to climb up the steep ascend. The President of SDNU led the way followed by their MPR (a Dayak parliamentarian) and the President of BGA, Mr William Nyigor accompanied by the rest.

Upon reaching the "tanju", we were greeted by local ladies in Dayak costumes. Everyone was offered to sample the traditional "tuak". Again nothing else but smiles and gestures of frienship and brotherhood.

As we get settled and "duduk bersila" at the "ruai", an announcement was made that the "bidapod" session was about to begin. The emcee offered the guests his welcome with a slogan/motto Adil Ka' Talino, Bacuramin Ka' Saruga, Basengat Ka' Jubata. The phrase loosely translated means "Fairness to Humandkind, Heavenly Mirrored Actions, Dependent of God". The slogan we were told have been officially adapted by three provincials in the whole of Kalimantan. (The writer felt so humbled that his dialect/language is being used for the slogan and is widely spoken as the lingua franca for the Dayaks there though they called the language Kanayatn, a variant easily understood by any Salako.)

At the "bidapod" session, representatives from both sides shared their organizations' hopes and aspirations for the betterment of the Dayaks people in both countries. The Presidents of SDNU and BGA spoke for our side. I am not at liberty to divulge the details here but suffice to say that hopes and ambitions of all parties are humble, noble and genuine; for the benefit of all the Dayaks people.

The session lasted slightly more than two hours after which there was a short session of "betandak and joget-jogetan". After the "betandak", we all dispersed and went back to our hotel.

Dinner at the hotel was scheduled to be at 7.30 pm WIB or 8.30 pm Malaysian. This was where most of the actions happened.

(To be continued)

No comments: